A substantial period house with integral wing in about 1.4 acres of gardens and grounds in a secluded location on the edge of Hingham Normandy House is a superb period house of the William and Mary period, believed to have been built in around 1690. The house is Grade II listed, has Georgian additions and has been altered and modernised over time. The current owners have created the school wing, which can either be incorporated into the main house or separated off, with its own external access. There are excellent ceiling heights throughout the property, and of particular note is...the substantial and broad reception hall and the delightful formal dining and drawing rooms. The main part of the house would benefit from some updating however the accommodation is extremely light and airy and there are some delightful period features. Normandy House would make an ideal family home, especially for those needing a house to incorporate multi-generational living. The house has some extremely large sash windows and there are superb views, especially to the rear of the house over the gardens and grounds.The school wing, which was converted in 1998, can form part of the house or be completely independent depending on the needs of the owners. This comprises an open plan school room (sitting room and dining room) which has an open fireplace and gives access to the kitchen, water closet and staircase. There are two principal bedrooms and one smaller bedroom along with an en-suite bathroom and a family bathroom. It would also be possible to re-open the upstairs hallway, and reinstate the school wing as part of the main house. Historical Note: Normandy House is understood to have been built by a local farmer in about 1690. Upon his death it was donated to the Church Commissioners with an endowment to form a grammar school. In addition to the house there was 800 acres gifted and the income from the land and the school funded the boys to board weekly. This continued up to the First World War when the Royal Flying Corps used the house as a mess and planes were maintained in what are now the gardens. It is thought that Bomber Harris spent some time at Normandy House, however during the Second World War the house stopped being a school and became a private residence. Lady Fletcher moved from France in 1941 on the advice of her lawyer nephew, based in Norwich, and she lived at Normandy House until 1969. The current owners bought the property in 1975 and have used the property as a family house. In total there have been four owners of Normandy House since it was built. Normandy House is approached via a gravel driveway, which it has a right of way over, which then swings left entering Normandy House’s property and ends in a substantial and generous parking and turning area at the rear of the house. This also gives access to the double garage and stable block. The gardens and grounds are of particular note and there are some fine trees of both coniferous and broadleaf varieties. There are two large Magnolia trees to the rear of the house which are spectacular when in flower. There are also a number of fruit trees and to the front of the house a rose garden. Most of the grounds are laid to lawn and under planted with spring bulbs. There is a small fenced paddock which could be available by separate negotiation if required. Normandy House will be granted an all-purpose right of way over the initial part of the driveway which is being retained by the vendors.
Continue Reading Show Less