THOMAS-CLAY HOUSE AVAILABLE IN THE HEART OF SUMMERVILLE. This impressive and massive home has come on the market after being in the same family for well over a century.
This three acre estate was built in about 1893 by Landon Addision Homas, Jr. and his wife, Minnie Fleming Homas, it replaced an earlier home that they purchased in 1886 from the General Homas Flournoy estate, but which unfortunately burned in 1890. Named “Cloister Garth” by Mrs. Homas, it features an eclectic design in the Queen Anne architectural style, but also incorporates many Colonial Revival details....
Typical of the Queen Anne style, its walls are made of stone, brick and wood with a red clay tile roof. Its asymmetrical plan has an unusual arrangement, even for a Victorian era house. Hardwood floors, some parquet, and moldings and millwork are found throughout the main rooms.
There are six bedrooms. Oversized 1/1 double hung sash windows are employed around the house, and there is one Palladian window on the first level.
The front entrance is incorporated with a porte cochère that is built at a slight angle of the front porch, which is balanced on the other side of the house with a sun porch. There are numerous service areas, accessory buildings and formal garden rooms and allèes throughout the five-acre property.
Over its history, the residents have hosted many Augusta luminaries and prominent visitors, including President William Howard Tat, and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Rucker Lamar.
Continue Reading Show Less